Friday, May 7, 2010

Election (and golf)




It turns out there was no battle for the telly last night. I went to bed early after an exhausting day, and election results were still coming in at 9 a.m. this morning! There is fear of a “hung” parliament (minority government), but I don’t know why. It’s worked well for Harper for the last five years!

Yesterday we drove two hours north until we hit the North Atlantic and could go no further. The landscape was spectacular all the way up, along the northern coast, and back down again. We reached the northernmost golf course in Britain (Durness) at lunch. We ate a hearty Scottish lunch at a pub. Don, as usual, had the Scottish breakfast. In the picture, have a look at the egg; it’s sitting on a giant mushroom. Of course, included in the full breakfast is tea, coffee, or beer ;-). We decided to golf despite the fact that it was 11 Celcius and much colder with the wind chill. I had on about seven layers of clothing. This nine-hole course worked on the honour system. The clubhouse was open, but no one was inside. You just signed a book, left your money, and golfed. We were the only ones on the course! This was a course built in the middle of a sheep farm by three local men. As we hit our drives, the sheep and lambs would scatter. Our balls often landed in the middle of sheep poop. We had to step over the electric fencing around the greens in order to putt. I got a shock a couple of times, but that was because of my score, not the fence. The last hole was a par 3 over a cliff. Don hit it on the green, but I was so afraid of hitting it into the water that I almost hit the club house far to the right! Don shot a 40 and I shot a --- ooh, there’s the kettle. Gotta go!

I’m back. So after that amazing golf day we drove home a different route through the mountains. I was pretty chilled from those North Atlantic winds, but lo and behold, the Wonder Car had heated seats, so my butt was pretty happy. Don discovered that Wonder Car gets 50 miles per gallon (diesel), so he was pretty happy too.
Later today I’ll try to get some pictures of my neighbours. I think you’ll find them very interesting!

4 comments:

  1. Have I mentioned I'm sooo envious? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... how 'bout them golf scores Janet?! (Hee hee!)

    It sounds like you are enjoying your vacation, despite chilly winds, sheep patties and beer for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, we're having a great time. I'm doing a lot of nothing (watching telly, reading) which is just the antidote after that crazy stint at CIC. Don finally made it onto the Royal Dornoch Golf Course yesterday (one of top 10 in Europe). He's in golfer's heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll try my comment again. It's great to be here and to do nothing but relax. I really needed that!

    ReplyDelete